Re: Fulmar & Shark

Brian Fitch

The facial profile and body-fin proportions of today's shark reminded me of the Great White many of us witnessed on Al Jaramillo's October 2012 trip to the Farallons.  But that general gestalt appears, at least in on-line photos, to be shared with other species like Tiger or Mako.  So thank you Peter for the seasonal and especially behavioral cues that weren't readily findable on-line.  This shark was definitely lunging with mouth agape, and not breaching.  Thresher has a very different look than what I saw this morning.

Brian

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 3:58 PM Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:
Hi Brian -

I would guess (tentatively) either thresher shark or white shark
based on your description of size and behavior. No other sharks
around here typically jump out of the water and many are not gray
dorsally. March is the month in which young white sharks (10-12')
start practicing preying on mammals and this sort of behavior (often
misses) toward just about anything on the surface is expected. Prior
to this age they feed on fish. Thresher usually is more of a
warm-water species and I've mostly seen them jump in fall rather than
spring (and especially might not expect this in a cold-ocean spring
such as this one). 10-12' would also be quite large for a thresher.
So my leaning would be toward a white shark.

Peter