Re: Buena Vista Park, Dec. 21

Peter Pyle

Hi Adam and all -

Yes, the BV park YBSA is an HY male. The other YBSA at Inspiration Point is an adult male, I think ASY but would need to see wing feathers better to eliminate SY.

Cheers, Peter

At 12:57 PM 12/21/2020, Adam Winer wrote:
Birded Buena Vista Park this morning for the formally-informal SF CBC. Highlights included:

- Yellow-bellied Sapsucker: continuing in its usual spot, almost the first bird of the morning for me. (Relatedly, I'm puzzled why people keep describing this as a clear "adult" or "after hatch-year" bird - the crown and breast are clearly not those of an adult, and this bird reaches adult plumage - maybe with a few retained secondaries and primary coverts - by October of its second year. I can't see how it's anything other than a hatch-year male.)

- White-throated Sparrow: two different tan-striped individuals, one near the playground, another above the tennis courts.

- Golden-crowned Kinglet: two together. confidingly in pines downslope from the summit

Cheers,
Adam Winer