Re: Many came, almost all left disappointed

Richard Bradus

Well, I stirred up a hornets nest here, and obviously mis-spoke.

I was wrong to cast doubt on others reports, when I was not there to confirm or deny.

I questioned the Red-naped reports in part because there was no supporting evidence or corroboration by experts that I know, while the Red-breasted was seen and confirmed by many. In the absence of Red-naped documentation, or follow-up, I made a conclusion that was unjustified. To any of you that may have indeed seen another sapsucker at El Polin, please share the details with the rest of the community.

And please accept my apologies.

Chagrined,
Richard Bradus
SF

On Tuesday, September 29, 2020, 3:49:23 PM PDT, Richard Bradus via groups.io <grizzledjay@...> wrote:

Quite the scene at El Polin this morning through early afternoon. Despite many observers combing the area for hours, only a couple of our younger colleagues got a view of the Philadelphia Vireo, and that only via a (not recommended) jaunt up the Tennessee creek watershed (off trail).

Be aware that there is a potentially confusing Warbling Vireo in the area that shows more than the usual yellow underparts and a somewhat bold facial pattern, but it is NOT the Philly, which is quite yellow and has the characteristic black line extending though the eye across the lores. Also, there were a couple of reports of a supposed Red-naped Sapsucker yesterday, but the bird I saw well yesterday and that many observers saw this morning was a pretty typical Red-breasted Sapsucker - I don't know what may have caused the confusion.

There were some consolations for the crowd, despite the secretive Philly, including a rather vocal House Wren, a couple of late remaining Swainson's Thrush and a continuing raptor show including two species each of falcons, buteos and accipiters (including a sharpie that again made a couple of quick hunting passes through the restored willow/underbrush habitat). And - whew - reasonable temperature!

Wishing whomever wants to give it a go better luck than I have had.

Richard Bradus