Lafayette Park this afternoon

Smokey Bear

I couldn’t take hiding inside anymore so I strapped on the industrial respirator and made my way to Lafayette Park. The first thing I saw was a Black-headed Grosbeak, a FOP (First of Park) for me. Many FOPs followed — a Black-throated Gray Warbler, and best bird today, a flyover Osprey! S/he helpfully looped around so I could confirm the eyestripe.

Also lots of expected, but delightful migrants and regulars: at least 6 Western Tanagers, a Yellow Warbler, a Pacific-slope Flycatcher, a Western Wood-Pewee, a FOS Townsend’s Warbler. No one mentions the Acorn Woodpeckers anymore but there’s more and more of them and they’re still lots of fun.

Hope it gets breathable again soon so I can get back on the bike and spend more hours like this one.

Anna