Ammodramous sp @ Hunters Point

Alan Hopkins

This evening at about 5pm I saw a small sparrow as it flew up from the drainage ditch on the Hunter’s Point Shipyard that appeared to be a Ammodramous sparrow. The bird had a flat head and strongly notched tail. The face showed a cheek patch with some yellowish on the face. The bird flew to a bush across a cyclone fence unfortunately it was far away and facing away in ¾ light. I watched it for about a minute. Eventually it flew off to the south. Earler at noon there was a Pacific-slope Flycatcher and Western Tanager a Pointview Park. The ditch is off limits but you can view it through the fence at the end of Donahue St. (don’t expect the bird to be there)

Alan S. Hopkins
San Francisco, CA