SOSA @ Yosemite Slough

Max Benningfield

Hi,
This morning I went down to the bayside. The first spot I went with Yosemite slough, in the CGP there were about 10 Greater yellowlegs and the continuing Lesser. Around 10:00am I spotted a tringa-like sandpiper on the south shore, I then identified it as a Solitary Sandpiper. It was a small sandpiper with a slender dark colored bill, white belly, brown back with slight speckling on the primaries, it had a Small eye ring, it had a black and white barred tail with a brown stripe in the center and long greenish legs. The bird’s flight style was less gliding and more flapping. All the time I’ve seen Spotted Sandpiper fly they’ve had short, fat and down curved wings. This bird had long slender wings.
Max Benningfield