Nighthawk 6/17 Russian Hill

Keith Maley

Nighthawk sp. seen out my window in Russian Hill at 8:32 pm 6/17. Dark bird with long, pointed wings flying low over a building, chased by a crow. Flew higher and closer in a darting, erratic and buoyant flight. White wing bars and white throat became visible as it flew directly overhead. No vocalization, and I could not confidently pick up on the exact placement of the wing bar on the outer half of the wing given its fast flight pattern. (No vocalization would suggest Lesser?) Flew West, gaining altitude against a clear sky.

Keith Maley