Re: Parakeet Auklet June 4

Brian Fitch

The bird has been rather unpredictable, but I've had better results finding it when the tide is lower.  I've seen it spend time on multiple occasions diving into the shallow surf below the viewpoint, and it's only shallow when the tide is mean or low.  When you try to find it, make sure you check the white froth for it's tiny black shape, not only out in the blue water by the offshore rocks.  This morning I found it perched on a small rock right by the beach, and then watched it get washed off by a high breaker.  It's a tough little bird.

Brian Fitch

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 9:01 PM Joel Perlstein <joelperl@...> wrote:
Is there any particular time of day or level of tide when one is more likely to see the Auklet ?