Re: Male Scarlet tanager question

Aaron Maizlish

Pamela,

There has been an adult male Summer Tanager at Glen Canyon Park for the last two winters.   There were a few weeks in January where he was coming into a bee hive next to the trail to feed.  When I went to see him on 1/29/2020 he was at the hive.  That is actually this year (!), it just feels like last year.  Or maybe it feels like many years ago before the shutdown.  The bird was last reported on eBird at the beginning of April.  I was told that it was sometimes seen around the neighborhood during the winter.

There was also a second city record Scarlet Tanager seen last fall, but that one was at the SF Zoo.  That might be the source of confusion.

Take care,

Aaron

On May 29, 2020, at 1:39 PM, Pamela Llewellyn via groups.io <pamelallewellyn@...> wrote:

Last year there was an adult male Scarlet tanager hanging out in Glen Canyon Park.  He stayed for at least a couple of weeks.  He was feeding on a bee hive.  I can't find this information in eBird.  Does anyone remember the dates that he was there?

Pamela Llewellyn
CPESC, QSD, QSP
Stormwater Professional
510-316-8932