Re: [northbaybirds] Snowy Plover

Ben Pearl

Hi Candace,

Actually, it's the other way around.  There is a breeding population of approximately 50 Snowy Plovers across a number of sites in Point Reyes, while there is little to no breeding activity annually on the Sonoma Coast.  During the non-breeding season, Snowy Plover flocks can be found at several locations on the Sonoma Coast, as you noted.  In addition to the coast, a small population of Snowy Plovers also breed bayside in Marin, Sonoma, and Napa Counties.

Good luck to those looking for the Bristle-thighed Curlew!

Good birding,
Ben Pearl
Plover and Tern Program Director
San Francisco Bay Bird Observatory

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 11:52 AM Candace Krout <candacek@...> wrote:
Are Snowy Plovers just unusual in Marin? Because they are seen on the Sonoma Coast.
I saw some once on a busy day on the beach, and no one else noticed them. They really blend into the sand!

Candace Krout

On May 20, 2020, at 11:13 AM, jim lomax <sdrib@...> wrote:

 FYI

So that everyone has a notice and chance to look for one of these birds:

Be advised that yesterday a Snowy Plover researcher found this bird on a beach in Marin County. Due to the fact that the area is closed to the public it was not posted. I saw two in 1998, one in Marin and one in Del Norte both within a day of each other, thus, they can be here in multiples. So if you are out on the coast of California you may want to take a closer look at those Whimbrels. 1998 was the last time they were here.
Jim

<image0.jpeg>

--
Ben Pearl