Re: Bristle-thighed Curlew

Mark Stephenson

Greetings Fellow Birders!
Since Pt Reyes is closed to vehicles at L Ranch, Lucas and I biked into Abbott’s Lagoon yesterday and searched for several hours for the BT Curlew, 1 or more miles North and South of the location where Matt photographed it without success. We did view 2 flocks of Whimbrels but it did not appear to be with them. The wind picked up in the late afternoon to make it tough work. We did see many Red-necked Phalaropes and a Purple Martin, along with a family of 5 River Otters to lift our spirits! The distance from L ranch to the Abbott’s Lagoon parking lot is approximately 2 miles with another mile to the beach. Good Luck if you have the chance to look again.
Happy Birding!
Mark & Lucas Stephenson

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 10:27 AM, jim lomax <sdrib@...> wrote:

FYI

So that everyone has a notice and chance to look for one of these birds:

Be advised that yesterday a Snowy Plover researcher found this bird on a beach in Marin County. Due to the fact that the area is closed to the public it was not posted. I saw two in 1998, one in Marin and one in Del Norte both within a day of each other, thus, they can be here in multiples. So if you are out on the coast of California you may want to take a closer look at those Whimbrels. 1998 was the last time they were here.
Jim