Re: Flying mystery - Anhinga

Aaron Maizlish

I don’t have that much to add.

While we were chatting I saw a high dark bird gliding and thought I might have an Ibis.  When I got my bins on it, saw the cormorant-like yellow bill and mentioned to Brian that I had a cormorant soaring like a raptor.  The proportions seemed wrong and I definitely wanted him to get a good look.  For one thing it was soaring quite high and not flapping its wings, and making lazy circles. For another thing it seemed to have long-planked wings and a large fanned tail.   Brian said “I’m going to regret saying this, but it’s shaped like an Anhinga.”   Suddenly all of the proportions made sense to me, and since he was on the bird I reached for my camera.  I was never able to get it focused on the speck of black in the sky, and I never got another look.  If I had my better lens on the camera I would have gotten it.

I’m going to let it go.  Brian got a better read on the features than I did.  That’s may be the end of the story unless someone sees an Anhinga around here in the next couple of days.  All sorts of weird and wonderful things are passing over head right now, and you just need to look up at the right time, preferably with the right lens on your camera.

Aaron Maizlish

On May 18, 2020, at 3:13 PM, Brian Fitch <fogeggs@...> wrote:

Around 10:30 this morning, Aaron Maizlish and I were standing at the north end of the Fort Scott ball field discussing how to judge the odd weather in regards to where to search for birds.  The wind was sporadic in both speed and direction, and the clouds and humidity were abnormal.  Aaron then picked up on what he thought was a cormorant heading over, and I ignored it, as D-c Cormorants are regular flybys here.  But then he said it was soaring, and that maybe it was an ibis, so I tracked his sight line and spotted the bird.  It was very high, only a speck to the naked eye, it was well south of us, and backlit, but I immediately noted why he was thinking ibis, as the proportions were odd, too long in front and back for any cormorant species.

As it circled into full ventral outline, I fell into shocked silence as I saw that the aft portion of the body did not consist of the gangly legs of an ibis, but was a long fan-shaped tail with tight corners, like a Sharp-shinned, only much bigger.  I could pick up no color at that point, and I asked Aaron if he could try to get a photo on the next circle.  But that was a mistake, as while he was pulling his camera up, he lost sight of the bird, and it broke its kettling and took a line west-southwest toward Baker Beach and maybe Land's End.  I was able to track it as it continued in a long, slowly descending soar, and as it became less backlit, I finally saw some buffy coloring on the front portions.  I can't recall even a single flap of the wings, and did not give adequate attention to their proportions.  In profile it was very clear that the bird was elongated on both ends relative to cormorants, but again, it was distant enough to leave me room for doubt.  But I posted the sighting anyway in case anyone else was watching along its path.

When the bird did not reappear, I pulled out my Sibley and did a little research before writing the second message.  Aaron soon left, and I went over to the Sutro Baths, where only a single cormorant was swimming, and then headed down to the cormorant rookery at Lake Merced.  Only after seeing multiple D-c's fly over me did I feel ready to face the negative energy from the sceptosphere and head for home to write this up.  I also checked other cormorant hangouts around the lake with no further luck.

Just for background, I have seen many Anhingas in their normal range, two at the Salton Sea years ago, and just this past January, when life was still normal, saw several Oriental Darters in India.  There is one previous record of Anhinga that I know of here in the city, but from very long ago (1930's?).  As always, I am open to respectfully put questions about anything I may have failed to include above.  And Aaron, if you have anything to add or a differing memory, let me know.

I had already been out for hours prior to this sighting, with no shorebirds at all on Ocean Beach (so much for Birdcast!), a single Brant during an early Sutro seawatch, and a few tanagers singing at Dragonfly Creek.  A mother and calf Gray Whale were also highlights on the first Sutro visit.
Brian Fitch

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 10:59 AM Brian Fitch <fogeggs@...> wrote:

I may be ruining what reputation I have , but I believe we just had an Anhinga soaring south of Ft Scott, quite distant, but showing the classic shape from beneath and then in profile as it broke its circle and flew in the general direction of Land’s End.
It was backlit but appeared to have the Buffy neck of a female.
First spotted by Aaron, but he’s not ready yet to confirm.
Lake Merced may be a good place to look, but the sky might be best.
Brian Fitch

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 10:35 AM Brian Fitch via groups.io <fogeggs=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
A very strange flight profile just headed sw from ft scottt
Anhinga like soaring
Look up
Brian Fitch