Re: El Polin Strange Call

Ralph McKinnon

I’m guessing it’s the churr call of a Swainson’s Thrush but am looking forward to seeing other opinions.

Ralph McKinnon
SF

On Saturday, May 16, 2020, 8:40 PM, kim <leo811sf@...> wrote:

Will be interested in knowing what this is.  Sounds very similar to what I heard in my yard today.

Kim
SF

Be Kind. Lady Karma is Always Watching.

On May 16, 2020, at 8:05 PM, "Richard Bradus via groups.io" <grizzledjay@...> wrote:

Hi all

Earlier this evening I made it down to El Polin and, in the company of Connor Cochrane, whiffed on grosbeaks though there were multiple Swainson's Thrush, Scrub Jays, Song Sparrows and a bunch of smaller birds. While listening to both calls and songs of Swainson's Thrushes there was a period of silence, then we heard this short, rather harsh call repeated from dense cover in the shrubs behind the famous elderberry. (Hopefully the .wav file will go with this message, either below or as an attachment).

We were stumped. Could this be a Swainson's??? Connor suggested maybe a Catbird, which is intriguing, but it doesn't sound like the catbird a few years ago in the Botanical Garden. Maybe a mad, feral catbird?

Anyway, any thoughts or, hopefully, a definitive ID would be very much appreciated.

Richard Bradus