Re: [pen-bird] Apparent Kentucky Warbler in Pacifica

Peter Pyle

Here’s another paper on the 1992 invasion.

Interestingly, Patten et al. Linked it to anomalous El Nino conditions. I believe the idea was that more SE winds occurred over the Gulf of Mexico during ENSO but they stressed that this should only be considered a hypothesis.

We are decidedly not experiencing ENSO now, more toward neutral with local conditions (at least) more La-Nina like. So if these records continue it could cause a search for other factors.

Peter

On May 13, 2020, at 07:30, Dan Singer <dsg2@...> wrote:

Hi Birders,

As John mentioned, the spring of 1992 was indeed one to remember. For the many of you who were not birding then, here’s a brief summary from the California Bird Records Committee 18th annual report:

"This unprecedented invasion took place simultaneously with that of the Yellow-throated Vireo (V. flavifrons; 9 birds: see below), Northern Parula (Parula americana; 138 birds), Yellow-throated Warbler (Dendroica dominica: 6 birds: see below), Worm-eating Warbler (Helmitheros vermivorus: 8 birds: see below), Kentucky Warbler (Oporornis formosus: 36 birds: see below), and Hooded Warbler (Wilsonia citrina; 76 birds). This massive incursion of species breeding predominantly in the southeastern United States was discussed by Terrill et al. (1992): more complete details will be published elsewhere.”

Thanks to the efforts of Joe Morlan, information like this can now be easily gleaned from the CBRC website using the search function.

Dan Singer
Marin County

On May 12, 2020, at 17:01, John Sterling <jsterling@...> wrote:

It’s looking like another spring of 1992 when the state had an unprecedented number of hooded and Kentucky warblers along with other southeastern species.  Going to be a fun four weeks if I’m right.
John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

On May 12, 2020, at 4:21 PM, Joe Morlan <jmorlan@...> wrote:

This morning I heard an unusual song along San Pedro Creek in Pacifica.  I
made some audio recordings which have been analyzed by Al Jaramillo and
others.  They are a good match for Kentucky Warbler. However I did not
actually see the bird.  The recordings are on my eBird list at:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S68940561

Recordings are also on Xeno-Canto:

https://www.xeno-canto.org/557569

https://www.xeno-canto.org/557571

https://www.xeno-canto.org/557572

The bird was in the riparian along San Pedro Terrace Rd immediately east of
the Linda Mar Rehabilitation nursing facility.  Please be respectful of the
nursing home residents and property.

Stay well!
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt