Re: Laughing gull crissey

Alvaro Jaramillo

All

Just in case you are interested, it looks like a first cycle Laughing Gull. So hatched last summer. It retains a brownish wing, but has molted in the body, as well as many coverts, making it look largely grey when sitting like this. In flight the wing will look a lot more brownish.

Separate to this, is how interesting it is that we are seemingly getting this sprinkling of Laughing Gulls on the coast now, at least in the last 3-4 years compared to the long running average. One could blame it on climate change, but the truth is that we have little idea of the population dynamics of where these Laughing Gulls actually come from, presumably the W coast Mexican breeding birds.

Alvaro    

Alvaro Jaramillo

alvaro@...

www.alvarosadventures.com

From: SFBirds@groups.io <SFBirds@groups.io> On Behalf Of Adam Winer
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2020 1:20 PM
To: mckinnon_ralph@...
Cc: SF Birds <SFBirds@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Laughing gull crissey

Sorry, this photo was from before it took off:  I left before it did, so no idea of its current status.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 1:17 PM Ralph McKinnon via groups.io <mckinnon_ralph=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Bird still present?

On Monday, April 20, 2020, 1:15 PM, Adam Winer <awiner@...> wrote:

A photo:

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 11:14 AM Brian Fitch <fogeggs@...> wrote:

It just stopped preening and is hanging out. Long slightly decurved black beak hood starting to show eye crescents dark wingtips 

I’ll hang out awhile and hope for other birders 

Photos obtained!

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 11:08 AM Brian Fitch via groups.io <fogeggs=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have no guide with me but there is an apparent laughing gull on the West Island at11:07 crissey lagoon

B Fitch

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join SFBirds@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.