Seawatch -- B-l. Kittiwake, Rhinoceros Auklet et al., 3/22/20

Paul Saraceni

Yesterday (Sunday, 3/22) morning I got out for my first seawatch in a while from the solitude of the south end of the Great Highway.  Though winds were easterly, there was a decent migration movement on the ocean, with excellent visibility.

A BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE flew N over the western edge of the surf, continuing a ways up Ocean Beach.

A RHINOCEROS AUKLET flew N low over the ocean several hundred yards out.

Other observations of local interest:

Canada Goose 2 (flying N over the beach)
Surf Scoter 106
BLACK SCOTER 4 m. & 2 f.
Com. Loon 4 (including 1 in nearly-full alt. plumage)
Pacific Loon 4
Red-thr. Loon 18
Clark's Grebe 3
W. Grebe 70
Brown Pelican 15
Pelagic Cormorant 4
Whimbrel 16
Sanderling 620
Western Sandpiper 36 (a few groups associating with Sanderling flocks)
Herring Gull 2 1st-yrs.
Glaucous-winged Gull 6 1st-yrs.
Pigeon Guillemot 1
Com. Murre 37 (all flying N)
Bewick's Wren 1 (singing from across the Great Highway)

Also:
Gray Whale 1

Paul Saraceni