THREAD CLOSED Re: [SFBirds] Kingfisher on MISSION Creek

Dominik Mosur

Let's all chill and go find some spring migrants and report back with that.

Amy, thank you for the note about possible kingfisher breeding attempts at mission Creek in the late 90s.

In the future please everyone use common sense and respectful language in these posts. If you want to get nasty don't hit reply all.

Thank you,
THREAD CLOSED

Dominik Mosur
SFBirds
moderator

On Mar 11, 2020, at 10:49, Aaron Maizlish <amm.birdlists@...> wrote:

I live here too. I have for 30 years, and I know exactly what she meant. This isnt elementary school.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 11, 2020, at 10:46 AM, Bettina Cohen <bettina.cohen@...> wrote:

Excuse me, that was an insult to those of us who live here. Why isn't that person being reprimanded?

On 3/11/2020 10:42 AM, Aaron Maizlish wrote:

Please don’t use this list serve to insult other birders, even if they aren’t showing enough respect to your neighborhood. It just has a chilling effect on people reporting their sightings and doesn’t make anyone happy.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 11, 2020, at 10:35 AM, Bettina Cohen <bettina.cohen@...> wrote:
Hi SF Birders,

I rarely weigh in on anything in this group, but will now to say that was such an inappropriate and offensive subject line for a message from this group. Thank you Amy for flagging it.

I can confirm what Amy says about the Belted Kingfisher on MISSION Creek. I've seen this bird there many times over the years.

Perhaps if SFBirds members visited our neighborhood once in awhile, they'd come to appreciate its charms, as well as the variety of avian species we enjoy seeing and hearing on a daily basis.

hank you,
Bettina

On 3/10/2020 9:24 PM, Peter & Amy wrote:
There has been at least one resident female for years. Used to be more and they had burrows in the north bank at the upstream end of the creek until the creek “restoration” terraformed the bank with rip-rap and plastic lattice. I lived on a floating home for 20 years at that end and she would routinely sit on our wind shelter and watch me in the kitchen.

The people who still live down there and the ones who have worked assiduously for many years to clean up Mission Creek would appreciate it if people stopped calling it Shit Creek. Better sewage treatment facilities have all but eliminated raw sewage released into the creek.

Amy

On Mar 10, 2020, at 6:40 PM, Smokey Bear <bear.smokey@...> wrote:
I was biking home from my trainer in Mission Bay just now when I heard a kingfisher rattle. I was at Mission Bay Drive and Berry St, right at the Caltrain track crossing along 7th. I eventually found the bird high over the creek — perched on the bent cap of the 280 overhead! S/he was looking over the brackish backwater at the floodgates. Pleasant evening surprise.

Anna