Eurasian Wigeons at Pier 94

Dan Harris

Yesterday, Monday late morning, I saw a Eurasian Wigeon male-female pair swimming together at Pier 94.

I noticed the male Eurasian’s red-brown head right away in the sunlight when I scanned the American Wigeon flocks with my bins, and I quickly started taking photos. I was happy to see the male Eurasian and didn’t realize there was also a female until I looked at my photos later after dinner. I’ve only seen a male in previous years.

Apparently two Eurasian Wigeons this time of year at that location is unusual as flags went up when I changed my entry on eBird from one to two.

They were quite some distance away, but the photo is good enough for an ID.

—Dan Harris