Scarlet Tanager at SF Zoo

Megan Jankowski

After an hour of waiting the Scarlet tanager reappeared in the same bush as yesterday at the SF Zoo at about 11:20. I’m attempting to attach a phone photo here, not sure if the listserv allows it. I have a few better photos taken with my camera that show the bird in better light which I will upload when I get home.

Megan Jankowski
Oakland

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 9:16 PM Megan Jankowski via Groups.Io <mindfuldocumentation=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Sorry for the late post, we were in the field all day for the SF bird count. At about 11 a.m. this morning our group saw a tanager in a small berry bush right next to the Bald Eagle pond and peccary enclosure. It was overall green yellow with black wings and no wing bars. Not sure what it could have been other than a Scarlet Tanager. We saw it posing well in good light for about 15 seconds, then it flew over our heads toward the peccaries and vanished. I may go back tomorrow to see if I can refind it as we didn't get any photos.

Dan Murphy says this spot in the zoo always produces the rarest birds on count day for area 7, so it lived up to its reputation!

Megan Jankowski
Oakland