Re: Blackpoll

Brian Fitch

The bird is still present this morning on the same block of Pierce.  I heard it chipping during a brief try around 8:30, and found it in a tree with white flowers where Pierce ends in Duboce Park.  The bird was actively feeding and allowed no good views (while doggers looked at me as if I was scarier than any of our local meth addicts).  I tried to obtain photos with no luck, and despite having binos this time, I was unable to study the flanks well or note the foot color.  It was briefly with Yellow-rumpeds and a single Orange-crowned, so this site seems to be supplying the warblers with a feast.

The bird still looks like a Blackpoll, with a dark eyeline and weak yellow supercilium, front 2/3rds yellowish ventrally, white vent, olive back with fine dark streaks and no pale lines, ruling out Blackburnian and Pine, and some streaks along the flanks with no hint of any bay colored wash.  I think it's a 1st year, but won't wager my life on it yet.

The bird spent time on the ground among curb plantings, was briefly on the street under a car, in several street trees, and then turned onto Waller and flew east out of sight into the densest street trees I know of in town.  I'll try again in a while before heading to the East Bay for holiday events.

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 11:46 AM Brian Fitch <fogeggs@...> wrote:
I've received notice from Southern California that Blackpoll Warblers are exceedingly rare anywhere on the continent at this season.  I'm deep into Christmas hosting duties, and won't be able to look for the bird again until the 26th.  So if anyone with a camera has time and inclination to search for the bird and document it, it would help the record keepers with their concerns.

Brian Fitch

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 8:09 AM Brian Fitch via Groups.Io <fogeggs=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yesterday(12/23), while walking the neighborhood with a visiting friend, a Blackpoll Warbler popped out of some curb side plants and up into a leafless tree.  I had no binos, but didn't need them as the bird sat and posed for good viewing.  This was along Pierce St., the first tree north of Duboce Park, on the east side of the street.  My first year bird since the booby in early November...

Brian Fitch