Barn Swallows & Red-necked Grebes, Western SF, 12/14/19

Paul Saraceni

This morning Hugh Cotter and I birded a few locations on the west-side of the City.

Unseasonal BARN SWALLOWS were present at Lake Merced.  A group of 4 flew N over the middle lake.  A group of 12 (perhaps including those prior 4) were feeding over the north impoundment, seen from different viewpoints during the course of an hour.

From the Mile Rock viewpoint near Lands End we observed 2 RED-NECKED GREBES.  One showed well as it swam near the closest large rock to shore. A different R-n Grebe was observed in flight heading W towards the open ocean.

9 Black Oystercatchers were on the rock noted above.

Paul Saraceni