Possible December pelagic - Interested?

Alvaro Jaramillo

Hello all,

       Several folks have contacted me to ask about a possible December pelagic. This is a time when we have a chance of rarities, such as Short-tailed Albatross but we would need a great deal of luck. Other winter specialties like Short-tailed Shearwater, Ancient Murrelet and Black-legged Kittiwake are much more likely. In any case, we have a good weather window late this week, and I am wondering if folks are interested in heading out offshore to look for birds on Thursday or Friday? (weather on the weekend is not good). Today a Leach’s Storm-Petrel was in Monterey, and there have been other sightings elsewhere with all of this weather. It could be interesting out there, but do not expect the numbers of birds we see in fall. It is different in the winter. As always rarities are going to be looked for, Thick-billed Murre is overdue out of Half Moon Bay.

   If you are interested in a pelagic perhaps Friday, let me know (e-mail me personally) and we will see if we have enough people to make it a go.

Thanks to all of the local birders who make the pelagics possible. We appreciate it, and we have been having so much fun showing you pelagic birds over the years!

Good birding,

alvaro@...