Birding Hunters Poin Shipyard

Alan Hopkins

I agree with Arron. The southern part of the Hunters Point Shipyard (Parcel E) is a Superfund Site and is still in the jurisdiction of the Federal Government. When I was the Naturalist in Residence for the Shipyard Artists I was never permitted in the area even though I occasionally got permission to lead fieldtrips in other parts of the shipyard. I was not allowed to take pictures anywhere, if I got my camera out a guard would appear and give me a hard time. Some of the shipyard has been transferred to San Francisco, but you still need a pass to be on the shipyard except for the new housing area. Due to the recent testing hubbub I am sure they really don’t want people with optical equipment wandering around. I don’t know what they would do to you, they could take your equipment.

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should do something. And you certainly shouldn’t encourage others to think it is okay.

Alan S. Hopkins
San Francisco, CA