Some wind tossed flocks

Aaron Maizlish

Folks,

I birded this morning at Battery Godfrey, and then after being home for a few hours, for an hour this evening at Lake Merced. Stuff is moving around in the wind storm for sure. I expect the next couple of days might turn up some very good stuff that was hunkered down waiting for the winds to die down. The question of course is just where.

In addition to the two Rough-legged Hawks seen earlier, the other notable birds at the Battery was one flock of 77 Snow Geese + 1 Ross’s Goose that flew directly overhead. Def a high count for me in SF. Lots of Cackling Geese were on the move. I was later able to find mixed Canada/Cackling Geese on lawns in the Presidio, on Crissy Field, and just now at the entrance to Harding Golf Course. We had a large variety of ducks on the move - the most unusual being two mixed flock of Common/Red-Breasted Mergansers coming into the Gate, and also a single White-Winged Scoter.

At the Concrete Bridge about 15 Bonapartes Gulls were circling high up above the scrum of larger gulls. I couldn’t pick out any rarities, and just like that they all moved on. Finally of note, a few dozen Tricolored Blackbirds are in with the large blackbird group at Harding Golf Course entrance. Also doubt they’ll stick around, but you never know.

Aaron Maizlish