North Lake Friday

rosita94598

I had just over 1/2 hour to check the west side of North Lake yesterday Oct. 11, hoping to see the Chestnut-sided Warbler.  That did not work, but had a couple of other good sightings.  North of the wooden bridge, I saw first a female Ring-necked Duck come around a small island, then finally a total of 7 of them.  They seemed very nervous and left almost right away.  I also heard a Belted Kingfisher, then saw it flying the length of the pond north to south.  It was, in fact, a Queenfisher; and it was hotly pursued by a Cooper's Hawk.  As I returned toward the car, I did hear a Kingfisher rattle, so I felt relieved.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek