C Merganser & C-c Sparrow

Brian Fitch

I spent some time at the Sutro Baths today, despite the failure of the predicted winds to materialize yet again.  A few duck species were moving, the highlight being Common Merganser, with one male and two apparent females together and two males flying with pintail.  Northern Pintail flocks were 10 and 25, Greater Scaup only one flock of 15, and there were several small groups of Surf Scoters.  No geese at all.  The three regular loons, a handful of distant phalarope sp. and a few Parasitics were also out there.

I later found a small mixed flock just south of the Beach Chalet that included a Clay-colored Sparrow, a hybrid flicker, and a Western Tanager (by "hewee?" call) that was very bright yellow-green on the undersides and head, but light gray on the wing, with no apparent wingbars.

Brian Fitch