Miscellaneous Battery Godfrey sightings, 10/5-6/19

Paul Saraceni

I birded Battery Godfrey for a few hours with other birders yesterday morning and this morning, with intermittent east winds each morning and a smattering of migrants.

This morning I was present for the early shift (6:45-10 AM), joined thereafter by Brian F., Hugh C., Joachim, and Jonah B.  I'm sure they will post their species/numbers from then and the rest of the day on eBirds or here.

Just after 7 AM I observed a flyover HORNED LARK, seen and heard calling as it flew E over the Battery and towards Ft. Scott.  Later after some the other birders arrived I briefly observed a first-fall female BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER near the top of the large cypress in front of the Battery.  Unfortunately I could not get the others on it before it dropped down into the center tangle of the cypress and could not be relocated.

Other nice sighting this morning while I was present, first spotted by Joachim, was a high-flying flock of 5 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE heading E.

This morning there were good numbers of Greater Scaup (150+ while I was there), Am. Pipits, Vaux's Swifts, Violet-green Swallows, and Yellow-rumped Warblers, plus small numbers of Varied Thrush, Band-tailed Pigeons, Western Meadowlarks, Northern Flickers, and Red-breasted Nuthatches on the move.  Local interest species included single House and Bewick's Wrens, and a Northern Mockingbird.

Yesterday, with Hugh, we observed 5 CACKLING GEESE (3 & 2 "Aleutians") plus a GR. WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE, and an ACORN WOODPECKER heading N.

Good numbers of PARASITIC JAEGERS, including some high-flying individuals, were present both mornings.

Paul Saraceni