Re: Broad wingeds

Brian Fitch

A 45 minute watch from Corona turned up 2 Turkey Vultures, 2 juv Northern Harriers, a single Sharp-shinned Hawk, 9 Cooper's Hawks, including 4 together kettling, 1 migrant Red-shouldered, the previously mentioned 3 Broad-wingeds, 3 migrant Red-taileds, and a few distant buteos and accipiters.  Plus a single Vaux's Swift.  I hiked up there because while eating lunch at home, I saw several TV's and Coops and another harrier over Buena Vista.  There were also multiple raptors flying over Golden Gate Park while a number of us were trying to track the various vagrants around Stow Lake.  The flyovers included yet another harrier, 7 or more TV's, multiple Cooper's, Red-shouldereds, and Red-taileds and 2 Merlins.

I started the morning at Stow, quickly ran into Ken, and we covered Strawberry Hill for a while without seeing any unusuals, though we had 6 warbler species before reaching the top.  We then found a Hermit Warbler just as Derek and Cris Heins walked up, and Cris had already photographed the Hermit and the hybrid Townsend's x Hermit.  The two birds then hung out close together for a few minutes providing a fun study.  I was briefly alone when the Summer showed up just north of the waterfall, a big yellow-gold tanager with no wing bars.  After I called out, the others had brief views at distance just as she flew down toward the lake, not to be seen again while I was present.   Derek also spotted some Vaux's flying over the hilltop, but otherwise, things calmed down, and none of the earlier rarities put in appearances.

Brian Fitch

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 1:34 PM Brian Fitch via Groups.Io <fogeggs=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

3 broad winged hawks have passed over Buena Vista or corona heights in the last few minutes
1 35 pm
Brian fitch