Re: BWWA

Chris Vance

Sorry for the mistake. It was a hurried post and a lesson learned.
Take care,
Chris

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 9:59 PM Dario Taraborelli <dario.taraborelli@...> wrote:
Since Peter brought up the topic of 4-letter codes, the data nerds among you may like to know that we recently ingested all the 2000+ species-level IBP codes in Wikidata (Wikipedia’s companion knowledge base).

When in doubt, you can look up the code alongside many other unique identifiers, metadata, and lists of bird common names across hundreds of languages. For example, this is the entry for the Black-and-White Warbler: https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q669888

Dario

On Oct 3, 2019, at 21:03, Aaron Maizlish <aaron.maizlish@...> wrote:

BAWA is actually the code for Bachman's Warbler.  Now that would have me running out the door!

Aaron Maizlish

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 8:59 PM Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:
Sorry yes BAWW. P

On Oct 3, 2019, at 20:37, Frank Fogarty <fogartyfa@...> wrote:

Isn’t the code for Black-and-White Warbler BAWW?

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 7:57 PM Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:
Dave DeSante would like me to relay the following re use of
four-letter codes, to please try and use the correct ones. He was out
the door for a Blue-winged Warbler, but then read the message below
(via Sialia). The correct code for Black-and-white Warbler is BAWA
(<https://www.birdpop.org/pages/birdSpeciesCodes.php>https://www.birdpop.org/pages/birdSpeciesCodes.php).

I would add that I'm a big fan of these codes and use them frequently
in eBird reports, but always after mentioning the full name first (or
in comments under a full-named species) and would encourage this
practice in SF Birds subject lines and text.

Good birding all,

Peter