Re: McLaren Common Rosefinch?

Looks better for a House Finch to me.

On Aug 14, 2019, at 12:38, Frank Fogarty <fogartyfa@...> wrote:

Hi Alan,

The culmen on this bird looks relatively straight and the brownish malar and nape don't fit Common Rosefinch. Looks good for an adult male Purple Finch.

Frank Fogarty
Oakland

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 12:25 PM Alan Hopkins <alanhopkins@...> wrote:
This morning I saw a bird that I believe was a Common Rosefinch in McLaren Park. The first thing I noticed about the bird was the BAND on the right leg, so the origin of the bird is questionable. It looked similar to a House Finch but lacked streaking on the flanks. The face was a uniform red lacking any obvious facial markings. The red ran across the breast and down the flanks without streaking as seen in a Purple Finch (the color in the photo the red is not as apparent as it was in the field, maybe because it had become wet.) The bill appeared large with a strongly curved culmen. The bird was quite flighty and I only got brief looks at the bird as it came down to bathe. It was bathing in the small creek on the south(?) side of the Gerry Garcia Amphitheater where the paved path crosses the creek at between 8:30 am and 9:00am.

There were only a few common migrants around: western flycatcher, 2 Western Tanagers, Wilson's Warbler and Yellow Warbler.

Alan S. Hopkins
San Francisco, CA