Birds building offshore - good forecast for Sept 17 pelagic

Alvaro Jaramillo

Hello all,

       The season for pelagics is gearing up. We have already seen evidence of storm-petrel concentrations building, and have found three species of storm-petrel (Ashy, Wilson’s, and Fork-tailed). We expect that the jaeger and Sabine’s Gull migration will be ratcheting up by next weekend. We are so pleased to have already found Scripps’s Murrelet at our latitude (they come in from the south), as well as the regular alcids, shearwaters and Black-footed Albatross of course. The seabird season really spices up during mid-August, so we are excited that already we have seen a bunch of good stuff out there and fantastic whale shows. Perhaps one of the best Humpback Whale foraging spectacles I have ever seen in fact happened last weekend. Leatherback Sea Turtle was also a surprise, a superb surprise, and we hope that the high density of Marbled Murrelets close to shore continues. We are starting out strong, and wanted to let you know that we have a trip coming up this Saturday (17th) and also that the current forecast looks quite good. We leave from Pillar Point Harbor (Half Moon Bay), and expect to visit San Francisco and San Mateo waters. Water temperatures offshore are warming quickly, with lots of warm out there and hints that it is coming closer to shore at this point. That always makes for an interesting trip!

   Please let me know if you want more information. Or you can book directly using credit card or PayPal on our website:

   http://alvarosadventures.com/boat-trips/pelagics/

Great birding to you all!

alvaro@...