Re: Strybing insult

Loretta

Hello all,

The tree toppled over during some storms a few months ago. According to a volunteer I spoke to, who was also devastated by the loss, the roots were shallow and came right up.

I saw a handful of trees doing the same all over the park at that time.

A huge loss, but not an evil plot against birds or birders, AFAIK....

Lorētta

On Sunday, May 19, 2019, 2:08:48 PM PDT, Candy Mabry via Groups.Io <candymabry@...> wrote:

Oh, no! That is dreadful news! Always one of my favorite trees there. I wonder why.

On Sunday, May 19, 2019, 12:21:08 PM PDT, Alan Hopkins <alanhopkins@...> wrote:

I checked Strybing this morning and discovered that the Flannel X Hand Tree that was by the entrance gate has been cut down! Other than hosting the Prothonotary Warbler a few days it was a consistent resource for nuthatches, Robins, orioles and winter warbles. Who's idea was this? Progress toward the abyss.

Other than that I heard an  Olive-sided Flycatcher, it was far off, probably on Strawberry Hill.

Alan S. Hopkins
San Francisco, CA