McLaren Migrants (and a vagrant)

Daniel Scali

Y’all,

Holy cowbird! Or, as the famous birder Ice Cube once said, “Today was a good day.”

The Hooded Warbler stuck around at least till 2:30pm when it stopped singing for the last time before I left. A few SF birders got ok peeks.

Also in that afternoon visit I was chasing down more singing that was “interesting” with Lazuli Bunting a definite thought somewhere in my mind. Halfway around the upper pond I was rewarded with a boldly singing Lazuli male (I assume) and a 2nd individual, also with significant blue coloring. I want to apologize to the group for my terrible fact-checking re: my previous Lazuli Bunting post. My panic about wild radish removal and absent breeders was 3 weeks too early. The first sighting in the park in 2018 was on April 30, the second during a GGAS field trip on May 5, and the first singing, from my ebird data anyway, wasn’t until mid-May. I’m feeling optimistic.

Other spring fun at McPark: Pac-Slope and Olive-sided Flycatchers, Hermit and Black-throated Gray Warblers, Cassin’s and Warbling Vireos, Western Tanagers and a Wood-pewee, Black-headed Grosbeaks, and the recent arrival Swanson’s Thrushes.

Keep’em comin’
Dan Scali