Re: Possible Black-tailed Gull Lake Merced Boathouse

Peter Pyle

I've done some research and can't find close matches with second-cycle Black-tailed so will re-identify it in eBird as Gull sp. The back still looks dark to me for CAGU and I'd like to find one with a tail pattern like this bird has. Both species at this age are of course extremely variable, which makes it but fun and a challenge. Comments on specific identification criteria, pro and con, still welcomed.

Peter

At 07:48 PM 5/4/2019, Alvaro Jaramillo wrote:
Peter
It is a California Gull with a deformed bill.

alvaro@...

From: SFBirds@groups.io <SFBirds@groups.io> On Behalf Of Peter Pyle
Sent: Saturday, May 4, 2019 6:13 PM
To: SFBirds@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Possible Black-tailed Gull Lake Merced Boathouse

<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55815948>https://ebird.org/view/checklist
/S55815948

comments welcome on photos. P

At 05:30 PM 5/4/2019, Peter Pyle via Groups.Io wrote:
Just getting a quick word out. It's a second-cycle bird with a big long
bill - thought it was a deform-billed CAGU but now that I'm looking at
my photos the darker back and tail pattern may point more to
Black-tailed. Will post photos to eBird. It was on the western of the
three docks, the wide trex one. I flushed it to get flight shots but it
pulled around and landed back on the dock with about 25 WEGUs. Also the
continuing Palm Warbler in the myopoum at the top of the pull-out hill.

This is in Lake Merced Park along Harding Road to the entrance of
Harding Park golf course, north end of south arm of Lake Merced.

Cheers, Peter

---
https://www.avg.com