Seawatch -- Ancient Murrelet, 4/13/19

Paul Saraceni

Yesterday (Saturday, 4/13) morning I conducted a short seawatch from the south-end of the Great Highway (7:45-9:15 AM), joined by Hugh Cotter towards the end.

Winds were variable, waves were high, and decent visibility at the beginning was reduced by the encroaching offshore marine layer by the time we finished.

The highlight was a single ANCIENT MURRELET flying S by itself.

There were still 2 BLACK SCOTERS (1 m. & 1 f.) out in the surf, and 40+ Surf Scoters flying and on the water.

There was a small flight of loons heading N in pulses, with 80+ Red-throateds (about 50/50 basic/alternate plumaged) and 30+ Pacifics (most in alternate plumage), and 2 Commons on the water.

Evidence of shorebird migration featured good numbers of Whimbrel, Willets (in breeding plumage), Marbled Godwits, and Sanderlings on the beach, and 3 Least Sandpipers flying N over the ocean.

Late Saturday afternoon during a beach walk there was an OSPREY flying N over the surf near the Noriega entrance to Ocean Beach.

Paul Saraceni