Flicker caught in Rat Trap!

angie geiger

Dear Fellow Birders,
Tragically, I learned of one more hazard facing birds this morning. I heard noises in the yard and looked out to see a Northern Flicker dragging around a rat trap. We were able to free the bird of the trap and take it to Wild Care in San Rafael, but it's leg had been nearly severed and they did not think it would survive.

We have many pesky rats in San Francisco, but laying traps outdoors will do little to nothing to dent the population. Clearly other animals can get caught in them as well. So, I'm probably preaching to the choir, but please, no rat poison and no outdoor rat traps.

Angie Geiger