Warbling Vireo, Rufous Hummingbird and local interest

David Assmann

I went to Mountain Lake Park yesterday morning to look for the arriving sparrows reported by Josiah.  I didn't find those, but did find my FOS WARBLING VIREO and a WHITE-THROATED SWIFT. Later in the day, while walking along the Land's End Trail without my camera, I had great looks at a RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD. I started the day today at the Concrete Bridge at Lake Merced, where I was immediately surrounded by 16 GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES. Swallows came in about 8 o'clock, including a NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW and a BARN SWALLOW. Saw expected birds at the Boathouse.  At the Chain of Lakes, I observed the GREAT HORNED OWL on her nest, and saw seven HOODED MERGANSERS in varying stages of plumage on North Lake. A GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE was at Spreckels Lake.