Pigeon guillemot and scoter movement baker beach

Josiah Clark

I counted 358 Surf Scoters Baker Beach. Almost twice as many as I had on the weekend. There were also for red-necked grebes and four female black scoters, more than I’ve ever seen of either species in the presidio at once.
This is unprecedented in my memory for Baker Beach to have so many Scoters for so long. I have not seen much active feeding but I imagine they are going after sand crabs, one of the few food sources out there in the surf. Perhaps there has been some kind of underwater sand movement that has yielded a new food source.
I looked hard but could not find a long-tailed duck. The pigeon guillemot was looking handsome right off the middle of the beach not too far out. First of season for me.