Common Gallinule, Lake Merced

Peter Pyle

The gallinule, first found by Brian Fitch on 22 Feb, was observed today at about 3:45. It was skirting the back edge of the semi-open area of water about 40 feet west of the NE corner of the concrete bridge, to the left of the bleached white willow snag in the water but to the right of the live willow that comes up to the bridge railing, about 25 feet out from the bridge. When Rudy and I arrived it was being observed by Max Laura and his son Mark, who apparently first spotted the bird, and Jeff Gray. Jeff's and my photos are here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S53111316
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S53116419

As I wrote in my eBird checklist,

"My guess is a second-cycle bird - examination of photos indicates broad and basic (rather than juvenile) primaries and rectrices but bill shield is dull and not fully developed. By this date in Feb an older bird should have brighter red-and-yellow bill and broader more developed red shield (see photos)."