Re: Moorhen

Brian Fitch

I spent over an hour this morning around the south end of Lake Merced.  On my second pass by the northeastern corner of the bridge, the calls of Sora and Virginia Rail made me stop, but the only railish bird that appeared was a silent Common Moorhen that spent a few seconds traversing an open area in the reeds.  It was an adult, showing brown upper body with white flank stripe, white undertail that was being constantly flicked, and a yellow and red bill.  It was my first city moorhen since 2010.

There was also a Peregrine Falcon that made multiple half-hearted sweeps over the flocks on the lake, but even the Eared Grebes didn't take evasive action, and only a couple of gulls complained about the harassment.  The falcon perched twice in between passes, both times in trees close to the bridge.  Other birds of interest included a continuing C Goldeneye, a Ring-billed Gull, both unusual for this site, and invisible calling Western Bluebirds and Red Crossbills.  Up near the boathouse, five White-throated Swifts were hawking over the treatment plant.

A short stop at the Fort Funston deck turned up six Black Scoters, two females, four males, and two Marbled Murrelets.  There were fewer than twenty Surf Scoters in sight, and the paucity of all three scoter species along our coast this winter is disturbing.

Brian Fitch

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 8:22 AM Brian Fitch via Groups.Io <fogeggs=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

I just had brief but good views of a moorhen at the northeast corner of the concrete bridge , south lake Merced

Brian fitch 8 16 a.m.