Crissy Field: Black Skimmer

Felix Rigau

Late this afternoon I returned to look for the Black Skimmer by the Wave Organ but it wasn't there. So I hot-footed back over to Crissy Field Lagoon where I found it sleeping on a mudflat along with "gulls and waders". The light was dimming fast. The crimson sunset over the city skyline with a nearly full moon rising above the cumulus clouds was spectacular. I waited and waited for this now solo bird to wake up and spread its wings. At dusk it suddenly jumped up and started skimming over the water with it's lower mandible sharply cutting the surface like a knife. I watched as it flew across the lagoon several times before I lost it in the dim light. A wonderful and timely show to end a beautiful day!!

Good Birding,

Felix Rigau