Re: Black-legged Kittiwake at Cliff House (2 Feb)

Peter Pyle

although, come to think of it, could the tail tip (also) be oiled? P

At 04:20 PM 2/2/2019, Peter Pyle wrote:
Thanks Joe and Al -

You are probably correct. All of my seabird reference books are boxed up at the moment so all I had was on-line images. There are some of young and winter adult RLKI that appear to show dark tail tips and/or hind collars:

https://www.birds-of-north-america.net/images/Red-legged_Kittiwake-12.jpg
http://orientalbirdimages.org/images/data/redlegged_2.jpg
https://www.naturepl.com/cache/pcache/08135133.jpg

but at least the dark-tipped tails are probably mis-identified BLKIs (e.g., 3rd photo above) as I recall this field mark now that you mention it.

Hard to explain this as oiling, especially the primary coverts, but perhaps this is what it is.

Peter

At 04:04 PM 2/2/2019, Alvaro Jaramillo wrote:
Looks like it has a black tail tip, eliminating Red-legged. It also does not look to have the contrast expected on secondaries and inner primaries that Red-legged would show.