From: SFBirds@groups.io <SFBirds@groups.io> On Behalf Of John Sterling
Sent: Saturday, February 2, 2019 2:24 PM
To: Peter Pyle <ppyle@...>
Cc: Ken Schneider <kschnei1@...>; SFBirds@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Black-legged Kittiwake at Cliff House (2 Feb)

good call, Peter

I’ve never seen an immature black-legged kittiwake with those underwing patterns.

John Sterling
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

PO Box 1653
Woodland, CA 95776A

530 908-3836
jsterling@...
www.sterlingbirds.com

On Feb 2, 2019, at 2:05 PM, Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:

Hi all -

This could be a first-year Red-legged Kittiwake. Worth looking into in any case. Not many photos on line of underwings of RLKI but here's one that shows a similar pattern:

https://www.birdguides-cdn.com/cdn/gallery/birds/Red-leggedKittiwakeFlyte1stS5Commanders1106.jpg

Both the primary coevrts and the tertial area being marked dark. By contrast I can't find a BLKI with either. February is the month for RLKI in CA.

Thought it worth mentioning in case others want to go look for it.

Peter

At 10:58 AM 2/2/2019, Ken Schneider wrote:

Hi all,

I had brief looks and managed a single photo of an immature Black-legged Kittiwake seen just offshore from the Cliff House at about 0815 this morning.  A bit more detail at my eBird checklist here:
<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52301096>https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52301096

I think the photo supports my ID, but I'm a little puzzled by the apparent dark markings on the underside of the left wing (perhaps the primary coverts?), which I don't see as expected in the field guides I checked... comments welcome.

Good birding!
Ken Schneider
Noe Valley