Re: Black-legged Kittiwake at Cliff House (2 Feb)

Joe Morlan

Interesting possibility. My understanding is that immature Red-legged
Kittiwake does not have a "broad, dark hind collar" or a dark tip to the
tail.

On Sat, 02 Feb 2019 14:05:08 -0800, "Peter Pyle" <ppyle@birdpop.org> wrote:

Hi all -

This could be a first-year Red-legged Kittiwake. Worth looking into
in any case. Not many photos on line of underwings of RLKI but here's
one that shows a similar pattern:

https://www.birdguides-cdn.com/cdn/gallery/birds/Red-leggedKittiwakeFlyte1stS5Commanders1106.jpg

Both the primary coevrts and the tertial area being marked dark. By
contrast I can't find a BLKI with either. February is the month for
RLKI in CA.

Thought it worth mentioning in case others want to go look for it.

Peter

At 10:58 AM 2/2/2019, Ken Schneider wrote:
Hi all,

I had brief looks and managed a single photo of an immature
Black-legged Kittiwake seen just offshore from the Cliff House at
about 0815 this morning. A bit more detail at my eBird checklist here:
<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52301096>https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52301096

I think the photo supports my ID, but I'm a little puzzled by the
apparent dark markings on the underside of the left wing (perhaps
the primary coverts?), which I don't see as expected in the field
guides I checked... comments welcome.

Good birding!
Ken Schneider
Noe Valley