Re: American Bittern

Collin Adams <collinadams04@...>

Hi Birders,

The American Bittern continued at the aforementioned location at 10:07am 1/12/19. Thanks to all for sharing.

Collin Adams
Nob Hill, SF

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 8:24 AM Robert Martin via Groups.Io <rpjmartin555=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Present at 8am 12th Jan.

Thanks all.

On Friday, January 11, 2019, 16:48, David Nelson <David@...> wrote:

American Bittern still present at 4:42pm. It is standing on the green reeds about 3' above the lake and 40' south of the dry clump on the east shore of North Lake, GGP.

Good Birding,

David W. Nelson

On Jan 10, 2019, at 11:30 AM, "Dan Murphy via Groups.Io" <murphsf@...> wrote:

This morning shortly after 10 a.m. Joan and I saw an American Bittern on the east shore of north lake.  It's not visible from the path since it was on the edge of a stand of bulrush.  It was clearly visible from the path on the west side of the lake.  From the south end of the lake walk past the first island.  Go past the second willow covered island to the bench facing the lake.  From there check the shoreline across the lake.  As we watched the bittern was tucked, but came to attention when a crawdad apparently walked past him.  The bird jumped in the water, snatched the crawdad, got out of the water and devoured the thing.  We had a total of 21 species, but all were common.

Good birding,
Dan Murphy

--
Collin Adams