Seawatch -- Common Merganser et al, 1/1/19

Paul Saraceni

This morning I conducted my first seawatch of 2019 from the south-end of the Great Highway (8:15-10:15 AM).

Winds were brisk from the NE which is not optimal for sea-watching at this location, but the seas were mellow and visibility was excellent out to the horizon.

Numbers of Red-throated Loons flying N (~150) were relatively low as I likely arrived too late for the usual morning flight.

Around 9:35 AM I was surprised to observe a COMMON MERGANSER flying N over the surf. It appeared to be an adult female. A few documentation photos are included in the link below.

Observations of local interest:

Surf Scoter 79

BLACK SCOTER  2 m. & 1 f.

Bufflehead 1 m. & 1 f. (flying N together)

COMMON MERGANSER 1 f. (flying N)

W. Grebe 80

Clark's Grebe 1

Common Murre 3 (flying N)

MARBLED MURRELET 6 (2/2/2 flying and some landed on the ocean)

ANCIENT MURRELET 3 (1 flying N, 2 flying S together)

Herring Gull 15

Iceland ("Thayer's") Gull 3

Glaucous-winged Gull 70

Red-thr. Loon 150

Pacific Loon 4

Common Loon 3

Brown Pelican 73 (mostly flying N in small groups)

Bewick's Wren 2 (singing from across the Great Highway; one perched briefly on chainlink fence)

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51178062

Paul Saraceni