SF CBC Sea-watch, 12/27/18

This morning I conducted my annual sea-watch for the SF CBC from the south-end of the Great Highway (7:00-11:15 AM).

Winds were moderate from the N-NW and increased as the morning went on.  Visibility was excellent out to the horizon. Wave size had decreased from earlier this week.

While there were some good sightings as noted below, overall, numbers were down for loons, scoters, and pelicans from prior years.  Semi-regular species that I missed from prior years were White-winged Scoter and Heermann's Gull.

Observations of local interest:

N. Shoveler 1 m. (flying N low over the ocean w/5 N. Pintail)

N. Pintail 8 (3 & 5 flying N)

Greater Scaup 11 (single flock flying S)

Surf Scoter 86 (low count)

BLACK SCOTER  3 m./1 f. (low count)

Red-thr. Loon 770 (only counted flying N; low count)

Pacific Loon 5

Common Loon 8

W. Grebe 11

Clark's Grebe 4