Battery G & F Scott

Brian Fitch

Two hours in easterly winds at Battery Godfrey turned up only a few birds of unusual interest.  There were onesies of Gadwall, Greater Scaup, and Bufflehead mixed in with Surf Scoter flocks, 8 Bonaparte's Gulls in a tight flock, 2 northbound Tree Swallows, American Pipit, Savannah Sparrow, and a non-local Red Crossbill.  The female Gadwall was on the water, and was associating with scoters so closely that she was swamped twice by incoming waves.  This is the third time in recent weeks that I've seen what I suspect to be the same individual Gadwall, always with a scoter flock.

At Ft Scott, a Red-breasted Sapsucker was in the pines west of the ball field, and a White-throated Sparrow was on the field with fellow Zonotrichias.

Brian Fitch