Re: Black-throated Green Warbler at Stow Lake.

Joe Morlan

The singing male last April was outside of the expected vagrant window for
this species. Spring records are usually much later from late May to early
June. It is possible that it may have spent the winter undetected until it
started singing. This species winters occasionally in Southern California,
sometimes with the same individual returning in successive years. It will
be interesting to see if this bird sticks around this winter. Please keep
the reports coming!

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 09:52:07 -0700, "bitanangan" <birdbright@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Hi Birders,
     As a correction, Lee has kindly reminded me that she did not see the BTGW on Strawberry Hill yesterday, but rather found it along Stow Lake Drive. Sorry about that!
      We don’t often get to see the same individual rarity in spring and fall, making this well-photographed bird so interesting. Searching Ebird’s illustrated checklist might be useful to anyone interested in making comparisons, studying a potential hybrid or molt.
Russ Bright
SF
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA