South Lake Merced this morning

Dan Murphy

Joan and I birded along concrete bridge this morning.  We had 36 species including a few that are of interest.  There were 2 Greater White-fronted Geese in front of the fishing pier.  A single, male American Wigeon was on the open water about half way between the  bridge and the end of the lake.  An adult male Sharp-shinned Hawk flew along the concrete bridge.  We had 3 Soras and 3 Virginia Rails in the marshes at the east end of the bridge.  A Herring Gull was in the gull flock nearest the bridge.  The best bird though was a Red Fox Sparrow.  Not a species yet (that I've heard), but perhaps soon to be one.  It's a good City bird.

There were a lot of birds to the north of the bridge that we couldn't see clearly.  Bring a scope to see what we missed.

Good Birding,
Dan Murphy